Tuesday, June 9, 2009

(Un)Christian . . .

I am not Christian in many recognisable ways.
But - In so many ways I believe I am . . . who's to judge, not you or I that is for sure.

I was baptised as a young baby, splashed happily in the font and chortled with laughter at the Dean as he performed the ceremony not to mention looking angelic and sweet in my antique christening gown. Does that make me Christian?

I attended a christian school, went to church weekly, sang in the church choir and got to ring the church bells. Does that make me Christian?

I no longer go to church expect for weddings, christenings, funerals and the like - I did go to for a thanksgiving service recognising the families and individuals that give their bodies for medical research but that was a one off. Does that make me (un)Christian?

I spent hours in churches overseas, lighting candles, soaking up the peace and stunning awe inspiring surrounds. Does that make me Christian?

I am a listener, the go to girl that people (friends and strangers alike) come to for advice and support. I have supported a neighbour as her birth partner, visited and supported people who are incarcerated, been the best (loyal, caring, helpful) friend I can be to those in my life. I take phone calls in the middle of the night and would never hesitate going to a friend (or friend of a friend) in their time of need. I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, I stuff up as often as the next person, I give the wrong advice, but never for the wrong reason, after all my advice is only my opinion on what could be done. I care about the world around me, and give to those in need when I can. I support a number of charities both locally and globally. Does that make me Christian?

I am a carer and a giver, I have been told a number of times that I actually need to put my own needs in front of others, I have trouble saying no to someone in need. Does that make me Christian?

I write this post not to criticize, judge or preach. I am simply writing this because a number of the blogs I read, and have stumbled across are from Christian families and individuals. Some have actually made me feel inadequate in my lack of prayer (NOT intentionally I know!!), and I have in the past, hesitated to comment on posts asking for prayers for sick loved ones, to offer my moral support because I wasn't going to 'pray' for them. However, whilst I am not a prayer, I do think about these families, positively, I wonder how they are and hope they have the strength they need to get through their turmoil. Does that make me (un)Christian?

It got me thinking - even if I am not a church goer, prayer warrior or preacher, perhaps in my thoughts and actions I am in fact a Christian, in my attitude if not my beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment